יום חמישי, 3 בדצמבר 2015

Texts for my Favorite Photographs

I started recently adding Texts for my Favorite Photographs:

White Flowers on Black Background
Usually when we think of flowers, we think of color, and when we think about the background of the flowers we think of green (grass), but there are white flowers, and sometimes, when the sun is almost straight overhead, it can illuminate only the flowers in the window and leave the The background behind them really black.

River of Light
After almost every photograph I shoot I have associations that originate in the Hebrew tradition. It's not so surprising to me because I was not born not in India nor in China nor in Saudi Arabia. Anyway, after I took this photo, for example, I thought that the name NEHARA (radiance) suits it.  I believe I know the rare word NEHARA from the poem AKARA (barren), written by the poet Rachel. I thought that the word NEHARA, which is synonymous to light, is actually the feminine form of the masculine word NAHAR (river), and I wondered why should river be masculine if water are considered as a feminine element of culture?

Perfect Barrier
When I started to photograph, about five years ago, my main theme was shadow, but I was not aware that I became addicted to it. Since I noticed it I became weaned , but this shot I could not avoid shooting, because apart from the shade it has also minimalism and clarity, two issues which I would not want to quit.

Accidental Art - Shattered Perspex
This  Shattered Perspex that looks like a bird belongs to two of my categories:
1. "Accidental Art" - photos that document art made unintensionally without the intervention of a human artist.
2. "Looks Like" - photos that I took mainly because they remind us of something else.
To find one of these requires imagination- from the photographer as well as from the viewer. 

Here I Am -1
This photo has a hybrid of five things that I love to photograph: crows, road signs, minimalism, first light, hybrids. I like to photograph road signs usually when they have meaningful addition to their ordinary meaning. Here the road sign pointing to crow says, allegedly, instead of  "driver, Go straight" the words "driver, there's a raven in front of you", or "raven above me ', and if we personify the crow: "Pay attention to me" or "how do I look?".

Photographing without Interpretation
I saw the shadow of these two characters, I took out my camera from my backpack and I took the picture. It was like reading of a play without interpretation. I know I can trust myself when I'm surprised by something and want to photograph it - chances are that it will succeed. On the other hand, when I start to hesitate and DECIDE to shoot - there's a good chance I'll delete the photograph when I'll edit it. Later, while walking, I remembered these silhouettes stand on top of the old Knesset building (on 24 King George Street ) and I thought that these figures could illustrate a line from a poem by Nathan Alterman, "silver platter", (published on December 19, 1947) where he mentions a boy and a girl who are slowly marching towards the nation.

The Broken Glasses of YMCA
YMCA served as the stadium of Beitar Jerusalem football team until the early nineties. It was surrounded by a relatively low wall, into which they put broken glasses against sneaking. In the fifties, when I was six or seven, my father took me to one of the games as part of his job as a policeman. The game on the field did not interest me at all, because I was fascinated by the dozens of people who jumped into the field athletically over the wall, which, seems, had no glass on it at that time.

Jerusalem Theatre at Dawn -2
There are some natural backdrops that totally change the appearance of the world: day and night, dry and wet, snow, sunrise or sunset. The most obvious things can suddenly become surprising, and the distance between two shots may be reduced from hours to minutes. I pass by the Jerusalem Theater at least once a week in the last five years and had never seen this scene. At the end of Hapalmach st. I was going to the President Street, but when I saw this light I could not believe my eyes - so I went to check it out...

Riddle - Tree infront or in hind of Fence
My photography is based on walking in the outskirts of a city.  It is no wonder, then, that after a while my pictures start gathering in categories like Roads, Trees, Fences, Flowers, Benches, Street Lamps etc. Its no wonder, also, that later on the categories start mingling and then we get Hybrids like Fence & Tree, Flowers & Bench, Street Lamp & Road etc.

This is NOT a UFO
I know photographers who preach about photography without editing, net photography, just what the camera "saw". I, basically, do the opposite: there is no photo I have not abused in an attempt to show the viewer, who is also and perhaps especially, me, what I saw when the subject, in this case, street lamp, attacked me as soon as I was not too busy with myself.



אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה